BUSHFIRE CAN’T HAPPEN TO ME , I LIVE IN THE SUBURBS

by:


BUSHFIRE CAN’T HAPPEN TO ME , I LIVE IN THE SUBURBS

Three ways suburbanites can get caught by bushfire (a) when there is an overgrown vacant block next door; (b) where your gutters are full of debris and an ember from a major fire drops into it;(c) where the street trees drop lots of litter on the ground and on a hot day it ignites from some cause. The source of embers is not necessarily a bushfire - embers are also produced in housefires and rubbish fires (remember the Wingfield Dump in 2015). Ordinary clean up, will Prevent Bushfires so keep yourself FIRESAFE

Bush Fire

CHARGE OF THE TOY BRIGADE.

October 2015, a beach house was destroyed by fire. News pictures showed an intense fire with flames shooting above the roof level. The cause was a battery charger for toys which was left charging on a sofa. Rechargeable batteries on charge ,heat up. Resting on insulating material, the heat can’t escape, The temperature climbs and if it reaches the ignition point of the material a fire results. The upholstery here was PU foam, an efficient insulator, it has a low ignition point and it burns fiercely (see PU foam article) Put chargers on a hard surface and KEEP FIRESAFE

SOFT FURNISHINGS CAN BE A FIZZER

Recent house fire news footage shows some fast, fierce and destructive fires. The causes are minor but the effects are not. It is likely these fires, accompanied by dense black acrid smoke, are fuelled by Polyurethane upholstery. (=PU) Polyurethane ,a modern material, can be hard / soft, rigid/flexible and it is used in most modern furniture. PU is both anti allergenic and soft. On fire - Polyurethane foam produces very high heat release rates and extremely toxic fumes. Ie fast fierce destructive fires Noone wants to return to leather and horsehair upholstery. Keep PU at room temperature and KEEP FIRESAFE

OUT OF THE FRYING PAN INTO THE FIRE.

“Face Flambe describes a burned face as a result of a fat fire on the stove. All cooks have seen the frying pan flame. Careful Cooks turn down the heat and cover the pan with a lid, Panicky Cooks throw some water on it and they suffer “Face Flambe”, Heat energy in a frying pan will turn even a litre of water into 1200 litres of steam at 100degC + INSTANTLY. The explosion carries fat globules as well at 150deg C +. Hot liquid burns exposed skin deeply. When frying keep a big saucepan lid handy and KEEP FIRESAFE

BREATHE DEEPLY AND DIE -THE BARBECUE INSIDE

Barbeque Fire Safety

When it was cold , and to save money, some took the barbecue inside to cook. Some died.of Carbon Monoxide. High school chemistry, burn butane (C4H6) in air to produce Carbon Dioxide.(CO2) Harmless! same as the bubbles in your fizzy drink Limit the air the flame produces water vapour and a mixture of CO2 and CO Carbon Monoxide -Deadly! Use up the Oxygen in the room – it gets stuffy, the toxic effect occurs from 1 70 ppm (parts per million) or 0.8 litre of CO in an average room. Estimated 30min of your barbecue Leave the BBQ outside and KEEP FIRESAFE