Fire Safety Plans Are Important For Home, Schools & offices?
For fire prevention Australia residents should pay close attention to several areas of their homes, Schools, Shops, apartments and office buildings to minimize the risk of any serious fire.
MAKING A HOME FIRE PLAN
Preparation and Practice save lives when there is a fire. Planning is done in easy steps.
- Check your smoke alarm.
- Decide the meeting place. Eg in front of house next door not in the way for the firefighters,
- Actually walk from each room in the house in turn to the meeting point. Note what would be in the way, like doors/ gates usually locked what can you do about it?. Could the window be used?
- Try your “escape routes” at night with the lights off. Illustrate with arrows on a plan and Keep FIRESAFE
WHAT IF THERE IS A FIRE AT YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL?
What if there is a Fire at school?
- Next time you visit ask the school for a copy of the School Fire Plan
- Discuss with your children a fire plan for your HOME. include how to respond to the practice.
- Practice your own home fire plan. Practice is easy, set the alarm on your mobile phone and when it sounds whoever picks it up it is labelled “THIS IS A PRETEND FIRE” For younger children use a picture of a fire
- Discuss with the children the School Fire Plan response. Preparation and practice to Keep FIRESAFE.
IMAGINE A FIRE INSIDE THE MICROWAVE.
Yes they do happen. What people want to know is what to do. People are alerted by the smell. Then they see black smoke through the oven door . Two causes, in the contents or in the electronics. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR. Turn off at the oven and at the power. Only when the oven is completely cool and the smoke has subsided do you open the door. Some ovens are known for electronic problems causing fire when the oven is not in use. If the control panel feels warm, time to have it seen to. Keep FIRESAFE
THE LAST CHARGE
Nowadays we put multiple battery chargers on a power board to charge phones, ipad , camera, ending up a tangle. When removing the appliance, notice the transformers are warm to the touch. They should be. Get used to the normal temperature then If it is not warm but HOT , there is something wrong. Turn it off and throw it away before it starts a fire. The reason for malfunction is usually mechanical damage to the wires (pulled hard) to the transformer (dropped) and sometimes bad wiring (cheap imports). Always Look for the approval mark No Mark Don’t buy Then Keep FIRESAFE. Check out Domestic Fire Safety Services.