IT MAY BE SILENT BUT IT ISN’T PLEASANT

by:


House Fire Prevention
PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER
In June MFS answered a call in the cathedral in Wakefield St Victoria Sq corner. An alert worshipper had extinguished the flames. Very quick considering the Fire Station is only 100m down the road. The fire was in melted candlewax where worshippers light votive candles. So much had accumulated in the base tray that when a candle burned to a stump and fell it ignited the spent wax Plenty of smoke even in a room that holds 400. Don’t let it happen at home. Never leave candles unattended clean up the wax before lighting the next one and Keep FIRESAFE

LIFE ON THE OPEN ROAD!
A recent fatal caravan suggests How do caravan fires get out of control so fast? Unlike a housefire there are no walls to prevent the spread of hot smoke, it is a small volume compared to a room, everything heats up quickly and the contents of caravans are deliberately lightweight so they ignite and burn quickly like kindling wood. Heaters in caravans are the same hazard as ones at home. In caravans an extinguisher is essential. If the extinguisher fails then GET OUT , in a confined space smoke will get you quickly, Practice a drill and Keep yourself FIRESAFE

ITS NOT ONLY A LOT OF HOT AIR
Every winter houses are destroyed because the slow combustion heater is stoked up. The flue is a wide metal tube. It gets hot and radiates heat in the room Above the ceiling if the flue is not insulated it can ignite flammable material in the ceiling. Long term , heat corrodes the metal flue and causes leaks. A leak into the room is identified by smell quickly, but not above the ceiling. A leak of hot gasses into the roofspace will ignite combustible material there. The Answer? Clean out and check flues at least every second year and Keep FIRESAFE

IT MAY BE SILENT BUT IT ISN’T PLEASANT
Carbon Monoxide (=CO) is the “silent killer” and is the result of incomplete burning. When a gas fire ,kerosene heater is faulty or in an unventilated room they soon use up a proportion of the oxygen in the room. When available oxygen is reduced, the flame makes do with half the oxygen producing CO instead of CO2. The latter makes the room “stuffy” but Carbon Monoxide actually poisons people. First effect is sending room occupants to sleep. The occupant immobilized. the flame produces more CO and kills. Service flame heaters regularly . don’t stay in stuffy rooms and Keep FIRESAFE

BEWARE THE DAILY GRIND
We are lazy! We used to cut metal with hacksaws, now we prefer to use angle grinders. An angle grinder doesn’t cut, it grinds the metal and the stream of sparks consists of tiny metal filings that are 800deg C. Individually they won’t burn because the metal mass is small, an accumulation of them will. In a workshop keep spark catchment clean and free of combustibles especially liquids . Inside use a heavy tarplike cover wherever the sparks may fall. And after the job go back and check for sparks that escaped, These simple things that will keep all FIRESAFE.

Fire Extinguisher Quote Adelaide