What's Your Fire-Safety Plan?

by:


IN BED - A SEPARATE VIEW OF GOING UP IN SMOKE

In June 2015 two unrelated fires in Adelaide were caused by the owners smoking in bed. The simple prevention is DON’T SMOKE IN BED. Annually there are 4500 fires caused by cigarettes in spite of a mandatory standard in 2008 for “reduced fire risk” cigarettes made with paper, slows down the burning rate of the cigarette, if left will go out and not smolder on. A cigarette dropped into bedding is in an insulated and warm place, increasing the paper burning temperature enabling it to ignite the bedding. So smokers take care in bed and KEEP FIRESAFE.

OH NOT ANOTHER ELECTRICAL FAULT

Everyone enjoys electric heating. Electricity passing along a wire produces heat proportional to the current, the wire diameter (eg fuse wire is thin) the wire metal (eg copper or aluminum). Heater working wire is designed to produce heat. In the wire in your walls, the 15Amp current produces heat only as fast as the wire cools down. Where a connection (eg in a plug) is loose or the wire damaged the diameter taking the current is reduced and the point heats up or sparks, the fault starts a fire. Avoid damaged plugs, avoid hotspots KEEP FIRESAFE

IT’S NOT JUST A LOT OF HOT AIR.

Whatever weather we look for Air Conditioned comfort. Sometimes cheer turns to char- homes destroyed by fire in the air conditioner. The cause is either an electrical fault or poor maintenance. The A/C draws air through a filter to eliminate dirt, as the filter fills up the motor has to work harder. The longer it runs and the harder it works the higher the temperature. Grease, dirt, fluff, plant debris drawn into the unit near the motor ignites and the fire is blown into the house by the A/C fan. Get you’re A/C unit serviced regularly properly and KEEP FIRESAFE

CAN MY BUSINESS AFFORD TRAINING OR NOT?

Statistically 80% of businesses closed for a week or more by serious fire never reopen the other 20% were prepared and insured. What about your staff and your customers? Will you deliberately risk their lives? All fires start as small fires, trained staff on the spot can extinguish most small fires. If a fire gets away then so must everyone on site. Trained staff on site can organize a complete evacuation. Afterwards recovery of the business can proceed IF THE STAFF KNOW WHAT TO DO. The law says you must, so save your business, TRAIN THE STAFF and KEEP FIRESAFE, Checkout our Fire Safety Training.

DON’T GO BATTY OVER DOWNLIGHTS.

Remember the infamous pink batts? Some young installers were electrocuted, and some houses destroyed by fire. The culprit was shoddy installation of bright downlights. Whose operating temperature can reach 370 degC. Surrounded by insulation and above ceiling debris the temperature can go even higher. Paper burns at about 210 degC. Have a licensed electrician install your downlights and protect them from contact with insulation. (1) buy reputable lights , (2) consider lower power globes , (3) cover them with a specific “downlight cover” (4) have the installer give you a photograph of the installation to check and KEEP FIRESAFE.